The 1941 Historical Aircraft Group, now known as the National Warplane Museum, was established in 1994 by an initial band of 250 aviation enthusiasts. The primary goal of the Group was to maintain the traditional airshow held on the turf strip at the Geneseo airport and to highlight the aircraft of the past with a focus on World War II aviation.
The first Warbird Gathering Airshow was held in September of 1994. Each year since then, the Airshow has continued to grow, both in aircraft participation and attendance. This year's Geneseo airshow will be held the second weekend in July at the Geneseo airport.
In an effort to make the Museum more visible, the first Memories "USO Show" was held at the Geneseo Armory in 1994. The show has become a favorite event for members and guests. The Annual Memories Swing Band Hangar Dance is now held Saturday evening during the Airshow in the National Warplane Museum hangar at the Geneseo Airport and is enjoyed by all who attend.
In the Spring of 2001, the Group was granted a Provisional Museum Charter by the New York State Board of Regents. The group's Board of Trustees was increased to five members and our name was officially changed to the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum, Inc. At the same time, the name Hangar Tales was adopted for the Museum's newsletter. The 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organized for educational purposes.
In May of 2013, the Museum regained the use of the name, National Warplane Museum, and operates under that title. The museum remains incorporated under the title 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum.
Membership Milestone: 975 Members as of 01 May 2014.