The Douglas A-20H-1-DO that was being restored by Air Heritage was the 20th A-20H of the 412 H models built during WW II. This A-20H, Serial Number 44-0020, was sold to the Nicaraguan Air Force some time after the war ended. After a hard landing during its service with the Nicaraguans structural damage was caused in the wings above the engine nacelles.
The aircraft was then towed to a children’s play ground in Managua, where David Tallichet found and purchased it in 1980. Tallichet then had it towed to the docks, loaded it onto a barge and moved it to the airport at Chino CA. In 1993 he arranged with Air Heritage an agreement to move the A-20 to their Beaver Falls facility for restoration, which required disassembly for trucking.
At this time the damage in the wings had been repaired, the inside of the fuselage has been striped of all components, paint and has been repainted. The amount of time that the aircraft sat in the park caused major corrosion to almost all of the airplanes systems components, requiring replacement of all systems.
After trying to find replacement wing panels, with no luck it was decided to remove the spars from the wing so that they maybe used as patterns for replacements. The inner wing panels have been refitted to the fuselage and the landing gear cleaned, repainted and reinstalled.
This A-20 was moved to the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Museum in the summer of 2008 and its restoration is now being completed.